Saturday, February 27, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird

For this week's topic, I would like you guys to find a book that represents and portrays the image of the South.

The only book that I can think portrays the image of the South is "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I have read this book when I was in 9th grade in high school, and it was a huge shock to me. I was amazed and surprised in how the whites treated the blacks in the old days. Sometimes, I even felt disgusted. Below are famous speeches by Atticus during the trial.



The speeches by Atticus portrays the South in those days. Blacks were not treated right. Although Tom Robinson was accused of rape, there was no single medical evidence that he had done it. However, Bob Ewell still accuses Tom for the rape. The witnesses of the State thinks that Tom lies when he says he did not do it. Atticus calls that a "evil assumption, that all negroes lie; all negroes are basically immoral beings." Through these speeches, it is clear that the South did not treat the blacks properly and there were no equal rights. The South is portrayed as the whites being superior and has all the power.

-Hye Jin Ahn-

No comments:

Post a Comment