Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The PICKUP

In regards to the topic of what symbol of object comes to my mind when I think of the South, I can only think of one thing and that is the pickup truck. I am originally from the Midwest and am accustomed to seeing the casual pickup in such an agricultural place, but when I moved to Virginia I saw more pickups than I had ever seen before.

Not only does this vehicle symbolize America, but it more reminiscent of the southern culture or the stereotypical south. When people come to the south they expect to see pick up trucks, whether it be with off-road tires or have a old confederate flag on the rear window. They are the best-selling cars in the world and whether your in a small town or a city in the south there will most likely be a pickup truck somewhere around you. The pickup truck represents many demographics and groups from the farmers to the southern confederates to workers, making a niche with almost every group.


Its hard not think of the south without thinking about pickup trucks and their lasting presence in the south and its personality. Heck its even my dream to have a pickup sometime in my life.

-Ryan Dettmann

No comments:

Post a Comment