To tell you the truth, I have not watched american TV shows for the past few years so I do not exactly know about current TV shows. However, reminding myself of the TV shows I have watched few years back, I can say that current media does not portray old southern ideals or values. Today media shows contains characters from different ethnicity and background. However, they all have equal opportunities and rights in the shows.

For example, Project Runway is a tv-show that is a competition of fashion designers to win the title and open their own fashion store. They also get to present their collection in a famous fashion show. Because it is a competition, designers with talent and uniqueness get to compete in this show, despite their background and ethnicity. Therefore, whites and blacks and even Asians get to join the competition. This show portrays that there is no old southern values or ideals. These days, it's more of a talent and ideas that makes you superior and powerful rather than skin colors and history.

Another show that I would like to introduce is the America's Next Top Model. I bet all the girls would know this show. Similar to Project Runway, this is a show where girls from around the United States compete to become America's next top model. Although the picture above is a picture from season 5 (I think), just by first look, you can tell that not everyone is white. About 35% of the girls who competed in this cycle were blacks. It is a show that is not only for white Americans, but for girls who have the potential to become American's next top model and represent America to the world.
I don't know about other shows that portrays the old souther ideal or values. The shows that I have watched since I came to the United States were all about competing and winning. Maybe that's why the shows that I can talk about are shows that gave everyone equal rights and opportunity to achieve their goals.
-Hye Jin Ahn-
No comments:
Post a Comment