Tuesday, February 16, 2010

John Deere and the South




Since I grew up in Georgia, I used to see this logo almost everyday, whether it was on equipment or on clothing. This logo represents John Deere, a company that makes equipment such as agricultural, construction, and forestry machines. However, when I see this logo, it does not remind me about the company but about something else.

In my high school, there were many cliques, one which was the redneck group. These guys believed they represented the South, so they would perform some of the stereotypical characteristics of Southerners. For example, they would have the redneck accent, drive red pick-up trucks, camouflage clothes, and of course the John Deere merchandise hats and jackets. But why would those guys want to where John Deere? It's because they feel in order to perform a Southern identity, they need to incorporate one part of it, which is the agriculture/construction identity. The redneck clique knew that if they wanted to be a part of the South, they need to acknowledge the agricultural/construction part of their performed identity.

So whenever I see the John Deere logo, especially on clothing, I think about how some Southern people try to perform their Southern identity by embodying themselves with specific stereotypes of the South. So the topic that I'm introducing is to talk about any symbol or object that you feel represents the South or at least provides a portrayal of the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment