Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Black, Brown and White

When this assignment was announced, I asked around if anyone knew an inspirational representation of the South. I came across a song called "Black, Brown and White" by Big Bill Broonzy.

Big Bill Broonzy was an African American blues songwriter and singer in the Jim Crow Era. In this song he narrates situations the African Americans were placed in, such as the fact that they were paid less than a white person was paid although they did the same job.

I think this song encompasses many of the situations in the South that we discussed in class when going over the essay "The ethics of Living Jim Crow" by Richard Wright. He mentions how he would not be served any beer or wine because of the color of his skin.

In fact, it focuses on all the injustices that African Americans passed through during this era. Towards the end of the song he mentions how slavery ended, but now he asks : “What you gonna do about the old Jim Crow?” I think this song is a good representation of the South during this era because it informs how African Americans had to work hard and still did not receive what they deserved.


Angelica Grillo

1 comment:

  1. Angelica--good work. I know you had problems with the video, but try to use hyperlinks when you can!

    ReplyDelete