
When my parents first came to America from India, a relative suggested that they live Clarkston because it easily provided an area where my parents could start their new lives. From then on and continuing until I was six, my parents stayed in that city, took advantages of various opportunities, and lived happily. As a kid, though, I never like it there. The buildings were too old, the city was too congested, and the lifestyle was below average. Nevertheless, I got my wish and moved to a suburban area, but after a while, I realized that I never appreciated the city as it was.
You heard of Clarkston in one of our readings for class, an essay by Sally Jenkins, where it mentions that the city that houses one of the largest refugee resettlements in the nation. In the 1990s, refugee resettlement programs made Clarkston a home for displaced people of many different backgrounds. Several ethnics groups were also attracted to the city because of the city's location right outside of the core of Atlanta. According to the 2000 census, the racial makeup of the city is as follows:
- African Americans - 56%
- Caucasian - 19%
- Asian - 13%
- Hispanic/Latino - 4.61%
- Other races - 3%
- Two or more races - 10%
No comments:
Post a Comment