Saturday, April 3, 2010

Merlefest

A big part of the South is it's music. It is very distinct and is full of emotion. We see in Bastard Out of Carolina that it also arouses our emotions. I love music and more specifically Southern music. 95% of my iTunes library is Southern music. So one type of Southern event that I love is the music festivals and jams. It just so happens that I will be going to one of the biggest Southern music festivals, Merlefest. For those who don't, Merlefest was started by Doc Watson (an amazing guitarist) in memory of his sone Merle Watson who died in a farming accident. It is held in Wilkesboro, NC and raises funds for the local college. There are going to be quite a few big name musicians there including Zac Brown Band, Dierks Bentley, The Avett Brothers, and Steve Martin.


Many times at music festivals there is great Southern food and at Southern cookouts usually there are a couple of people jamming. This is because the two things that Southerners in general enjoy the most are their food and their music. There are so many small bluegrass jams and cookouts in the Southern country with amazing music. I have included a clip of a great band, Trent Wagler & the Steel Wheels, at the Oak Grove Folk Music Festival in Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment