Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Christianity in the South

I guess I'll be talking about religion like Ankur did before me since religion is a huge thing in the South. I have always known that in the South, religion is a huge part of the Southern identity but I never realized that it was this huge until I came to Atlanta. From the communities to streets, one can see churches nearly in every block(slight exaggeration). As everyone knows, the South is also known as the Bible Belt.

Since I am Christian, the biggest similarity I can make with the South is the religion. My parents were Christians so I grew up in a family where Christianity was not foreign but more as a part of the family and the identity of the family. Therefore, when I came to Atlanta, I didn't feel like I was in a foreign country or town because of the hospitality and love that I received from the churches I visited and other Christians that I met here in Georgia Tech. Because there was similarity of my identity and the South, it actually helped me to grow up in many ways: emotionally and religiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment