
As I have mentioned several times throughout the blog, I am not originally from the United States and I lived 5 years in Florida, so the stereotypical South is kind of new for me. However, two weeks ago I experienced a characteristic of the stereotypical South that we have mentioned several times in class and is most appreciated by non-Southerners-- Southern Hospitality. The past weekend, my roommate's parents, who are Colombian as well, came up to Georgia because she was running a Half- Marathon in Rome, Georgia in Berry College. So we went up there and stayed from Friday to Saturday. While my roommate ran 13.1 miles, her family and I decided to grab breakfast in the first dinner we saw, in this case it was Waffle House. As soon as my roommate's mother and I entered through the door, the cooks and people who worked there welcomed us with big smiles and pleasant greetings. They made conversation with us and referred to us with words like 'honey' and 'sweetie'. My roommate's mother was really surprised and did not understand why they were being so overly nice. In that moment I remembered all the discussions we have had in ENG 1102 about this topic. I could finally say-- 'Oh, so this is what they are referring to when they say Southern Hospitality.'
This impacted me very much and I would like to hear more experiences like this, so for this week's topic I would like you to narrate a memorable experience/moment that you have had where you felt that you were a victim of Southern Hospitality.
No comments:
Post a Comment