Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Southern Hospitality in Different Ways


For me southern hospitality has been around me for 10 years since I have moved to Virginia. I have experienced it everywhere. Hospitality from people and places I know to people and places that I do not know. There were several instances where I have experienced this hospitality, but the most memorable remembrance was with my old track coach. Now I'm guessing your might be saying thats your coach he's supposed to be nice, but he helped through one of the hardest moments I have experienced in my life and that was the death of my grandfather, which takes a real hosp.

The traumatic event event happened around my sophomore and junior year of high school. Though we knew each other for 2-3 years we weren't extremely close. But when the fateful week that my grandfather passed. It was difficult for me, because my brothers and sisters were at college, my dad was working, and my mom with the rest of the family at the hospital. I was in a bad state and not many were open to help with me. Then after my track meet, my track coach gave me a ride home. He noticed I was acting different and was open to discussing with me about my grandpa's death. He showed hospitality or southern hospitality he talked me through my struggle and told me that my grandfather had passed certain traits of himself to me that I will live without through my life, in a sense living through me. Now my coach really didn't have to open his mind to discuss this with me about my struggles, but he showed hospitality that comforted me tremendously.

Now there were other people and places where I have received hospitality. Though as the my home town becomes more commercialized. But there have been several places where I have felt that southern hospitality. There are places by me that greet with the southern hospitality and feeling of being at home. One of these places was a hole in the wall BBQ place by Toccoa, Ga where the people were really nice and the food was even better. You had to know it local because of the classic outdoor appeal and some of the people just got back from hunting and were eating there. There are several places by my hometown that have that homey friendly feel like Wayside Fried Chicken and our local Dairy Queen, or 'DQ', and the Brownsville Market where everybody knows what the high school's football score was and the lastest news in town. But these places are also very open to the widest array of strangers and always willing to lend a helping hand.

Those many of these places or people did not have specific examples, except the one with my coach, they were all happy/comforting moments that touched me somehow. They all showed me what southern hospitality is and what it is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment